From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:20:24 -0500
>I read your post and unfortunatly, and from what I have noticed, it
>is normal for a vet to refuse an emergency.I do not know if normal is
>the right word.but I have seen it before.

I keep reading things like this and am surprised that so many people seem
to have this problem.  Am I just lucky?  I have NEVER had a vet who
refused emergency treatment, asked me to pay up front, or held my animals
hostage until I paid.  My vets have always totally trusted me to pay my
bills.  When the bill is extremely large, they have even offered (without
my even asking) to let me stretch out the payments.  I never do that.  I
pay my bill in full before I leave the office.  I have a savings account
for that purpose.

Maybe that's why I've never had the problem.  I have always had a good
working relationship with my vets and I've always paid my bills.  They
know they don't have to worry about it.

If you ask a vet to come out after hours to tend to your animal, they
deserve compensation for it.  Just like plumbers, electricians, etc., you
pay more for after hours and weekends.  That's only fair.  You're eating
into their leisure time and their personal life.  But, I have never had
one refuse emergency treatment.  When Dillon died following surgery, my
vet came into the office at 11:00 at night to do a necropsy.  That's how
concerned he was.  He wanted to find out why Dillon died and make sure he
hadn't done anything wrong.  BTW, Dillon died from DIC; no one's fault.

I think too many people expect vets to give them free or reduced cost
service.  You don't expect other professionals to give you free service.
Why should vets?  They have to make a living too.  They have tremendous
overhead and you're paying for all of the education they have to allow
them to treat your animal.  They have families to support.  And, there's
nothing wrong with having a shiny new Mercedes.

My vet does give me discounts at times but it's not because I ask for
them.  I think, for the most part, you get back what you give.  If you
have an attitude it will come right back to you.

Katharine