From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:05:26 -0700
I've had very limited access to the net for a few days, so this might
be a liuttle abrupt -- I am typing fast -- (and in lieu of my using
the archives).

Artie had a few days of clear grey-green diarhea. We treated him w
sulfa since that cleard up a recent infection in others that we are
pretty sure was coccidia. We also gave Artie amoxycillin. Also
hydration subQ.

Then on advice of ferret vet, added Baytril. This was given both
(sequentially nit simultaneously) intramuscularly and subQ.

After first intramusc Artie lost strength and control of the injected
leg. Shd ferrets never get intramusc injections?

HE now has hind end weakness.

His stools became close to normal diarhea, then, briefly, too dry, and
then back to normal diarhea.

Yesterday he had a seizure and recovered quickly The day of it and the
day before he was doing some staring into space. Our vet thought that
was simply weakness.

Today I saw a little bright red blood on his tail and at the edge of
a stool puddle.

Abt two weeks ago, Ada died of what we believe was the result of a
coccidia infection. THANK YOU, JULIE FOSSA for the long and detailed
article -- at that point I had a few hrs of internet access ad read all
I cd find on intestinal parasites and infections. The sulfa staved off
bad developments in a coccidia attack in all the other ferrets.

Artie must have gotten a re-infection. The first sign we had of a
problem was the "banana pudding" stool Julie mentioned.

But his stool never got to the tarry black stage -- rather it went to
the clear grey-green as I described at the start of this email, plus
the other developments I described there.

And now the fresh blood. Conceivably it comes from bone fragments in
chicken soup -- at least that is the only thing I can think of.

Artie is lethargic and can't support himself w his hind legs. Earlier
today he was quite bright, despite his leg problem.

Dr Dawit will come back in the morning. Meanwhile what can you suggest
as a diagnosis or diagnoses? And treatment?

Thanks. As you can imagin, we are having a terrible time -- and so is
poor poor Artie.

The other ferrets are fine.