From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:07:07 -0700
Microchips for anmals is a wonderful tool that we here at Ferret Wise
Shelter take advbantage of with our adoptee ferrets.

The installation of a micro chip requires NO MORE than an extra
innoculation.  This places the permanent ID the skin of the animal(s) above
the shoulder blades.  These chips have an indiviual ID number-- no two are
alike.  This information will aid any ferret who (companion animal, or
livestock) who becomes lost or strays away from it's owners.  Many animals
including ferrets, dogs and cats have been reunited with their families
thanks to microchip ID.  This technology does not need to generate extreme
paranoia.

Instead we should look at all the good it can do when we have  lost a pet -
or if we have a dispute as to the identity of a pet (now how many folks can
tell 10 sable ferrets apart from each other)?  Why an Identified animal
with vet records on file is as good as gold in a nip incident for there is
no dispute as to whether that ferret, cat or dog is the pet that was
vaccinated.

Sorry to see Melinda has such a hang up-- but here in NH stating Aug 28th...
thanks to a new law passed ( HB1623) in the house and senate -- ferrets will
be held one week if they are turned in as a stray before dispositions are
made-- on the other hand if ferrets or cats have an ID-- they will be held
until they can be reunited with their families-- which option is better???

Ferret Wise runs low cost microchip ID clinics several times each year....
we do think it is a GOOD thing! For the sake of the animals!!!