From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:57:56 -0500
>From:    "A. ANCHIETA" <[log in to unmask]>
>Has anyone's ferret figured out how to open a door?

Bad news....even doors can be beaten!

The storm sisters, Thunder and Lightning convinced me a long time ago that
they were smarter than me!  In the beginning, when I thought I had some
control over my domain, I attempted to confine the girls in 1 room when I
was out of the apartment.  However, I kept coming home to find the girls
curled up in the microwave cabinet and the bedroom door wide open.

I finally caught onto their trick (spied on them)....
Lightning the acrobat would climb up the bookcase that is next to the door,
then take a flying leap at the doorknob.  With complete accuracy, she would
hook her belly over the knob.  The initial momentum would keep Lightning
moving, at the same time the door knob would rotate (cute, trick in itself).
However the part that really amazed me was....at the same time, Thunder was
waiting at the bottom of the door.  When the knob started turning, Thunder
would jump against the door, hence pushing it open.  Needless to say they
escaped their confines, and reminded me that I was their intellectual
inferior!

Conclusion, the ferrets have free run of my apartment, and the stupid human
knows not to object!

Paige
Slave to:  The Storm Sisters (Thunder and Lightning) and Hershey

Ps.  On a serious note: locking the door may be a good precaution to take,
as it could indicate to someone coming in that there is a ferret on the
loose and they had better make sure it does not "slip" out when the door is
opened.