From:
Charleen Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:34:39 -0700
Hi FML!

My soul aches andmy heart is sick.  We got anoather call from Petco this
past Sunday night about a new shipemnt of kits from their supplier,
Marshall Farms.  "Please come and look at them, they seem so young the
manager said, the papers say they are 3-4 weeks old.  I do not think they
are in good shape."

Our director drove over right away and picked up one of the smallest kits
who was hardly moving.  She stayed up with the little female most of the
night and tried to feed her.  She took her to work the next day to
continune feeding her.  She called my friend to come and get her because
she was unable to spend the needed time with the little one.  We went to
get her and began to feed and love her and for awhile she seemed to be
getting stronger.  The she suddenly died in my friend's arms.  The question
I ask is WHY DOES PETCO HAVE TO SELL FERRETS?  WHY DOES MARSHALL FARM HAVE
TO SEND THEM SO YOUNG, WHY CAN'T THEY WAIT TILL THEY ARE 12 WEEKS OLD!
Petsmart does not sell pets and they do very well.  We as a ferret
association are constantly getting called to come and mop up Petco's mess.
Marshall Farms does not seem to care how old or what kind of condition
these animals are in when they are sent to the Pet Stores.  They are sent
to the pet stores by UPS air.  They are put into a small wooden slat cage
surrouned with chicken wire and stapled in.  they are given a small
plastic pouch of some jelly that they are suppose to chew through to get
nourishment.  I ask you this, how can a ferret of this age chew through
hard plastic to get nourishment?

What would happen if Petco does not call us.  Some of the managers have
told corporate that they do not want to sell ferrets and subsequently are
not generally sent any.  We have saved so many little ones.  Don't
misunderstand me, I am happy that they call us, but if they did not sell
ferrets in the first place we would not have to be called.

We need your help.  Enclosed in this email is the address of Petco and
their website.  Please blitz them repeatedly with letters asking them to
STOP SELLING FERRETS.  We are so tired of rescuing small sick litter
ferrets who cannot eat crunches yet and need to be nursed back to health.
We take care of htem just to give them up to Petco and watch them being
sold.  This is just too heartbreaking.  Please help!  Keep writing.

Ferret Rescue

http://www.petco.com

Petco Animal Supplies, Inc.
9125 Rehco Road