From:
Debbie C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 09:59:19 EDT
Hi,
I've been reading the FML for 2-3 months now.  I wish I had access to a
computer(and the FML)3 years ago when I was adopted by our 1st ferret.  I
had to learn everything from scratch.  Thank god that our ferrets are such
good (and patient)teachers.

I now have the pleasure of raising 4 beautiful fuzzballs.  Here is my
question, last summer I built a 4'x4' outdoor playpen in my backyard for
them to play in for a couple of hours a day.  They absolutely loved it.
The only problem I had was they picked up ticks.  Everytime I brought them
inside I had to do a thorough tick search.  Can ticks make them sick?  My
vet does not recommend using any of the frontline/advantage products
because they are not specifically tested/designed for ferrets.  Would it
help if I raised the pen up off the ground?  if so how much?  Do ticks jump
like fleas?  I'd like to put an addition on it this summer to include a
wading pool and sandbox area.  Could I use sandbox sand from HD?  or is
dirt better?

I,m so glad that there are people out there that understand me.  My friends
and family just don't understand how I can spend so much time and energy
building something like this.  Life is so short, for them and for us, we
should grab any opportunity we can to provide happiness for ourselves and
those that are close to us, two or four legged, it doesn't matter.  I live
in NH in the Lake Winnipesaukee area in a small town on 65 acres of mostly
wooded land.  Last year was a bad tick year, I'm hoping this one will be
better.  If you have any suggestions or answers please post them on the FML
or you can email me direct.

Since there are so many people out there ready to pounce on how or what
other people are doing I better say a few things about my playpen.
- It is in the shade.
- I have a thermometer mounted in 2 places.
- They have toys, hammocks, fresh water and food put out every day.
- They do not go out if:
  It is too hot.
  It is too cold.
  It is too buggy
  If a storm is brewing.
  If I'm not home.

Debbie C. [log in to unmask]
Tizzy... Tizzzzzzz!!!! where did you hide my cigs this time?
Spaz ... Why can't I walk off the coffee table,couch,lap,cage etc?
Baby ... kisses,kisses,kisses
Teezer . I promise if I get out I won't play with the porcupine again.