From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 00:13:49 -0500
I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

I have a young petite black sable that I adopted. Her name is Snooki.
Although she is gentle as a kitten, she is (was) very energetic and
stayed awake much longer than her two older cage mates.

A couple of months ago we noticed that she made funny noises, like
snorting or a honk, or like she is trying to clear something. It's
pretty loud. She did it each time she was picked up, which was strange.
She also started not playing as much and going to sleep shortly after
being let out of the cage to play. So, I took her to a very good ferret
vet. Of course, while she was there, she didn't make the noise much,
but he did hear it a little. He examined her and checked her lungs
(x-ray) and they were clear. He thought she was fine and sent us home,
but it continued and seemed to get worse, plus I could just tell she
didn't feel well. So, I went back and saw the other ferret vet at the
same office.

Snooki did make the noise plenty that time and was diagnosed with a
sinus infection. I brought home an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic.
After her course of treatment, she seemed to feel much better. She
started playing longer, but she still makes that horrible noise. So,
then I thought...allergies. I sought out more advice from the vet and
a shelter mom with tons of experience. Both gave me home remedies to
try; one was .75 ml of children's liquid Benedryl 2 to 3 times a day.
The other was something similar, but with crushed up Zyrtec in water.
Anyway, I was scared to try these because it seemed like so much human
medication, but I finally tried it and I really don't think it's
working. She still makes this horrible noise. I'm thinking maybe she
has some kind of sinus defect, like her little nostrils are too small
or something. Or maybe, she's just really stuffed up and needs
different kind of decongestant. Or maybe, I'm way off base and it's not
her sinuses at all. I don't know. Also, it's weird that she makes the
noise each time she is picked up (not only when she is picked up,
though). I am going to take her back to the vet, but I wanted to know
if anyone else has a ferret with sinus issues. Poor beastie. I just
want her to feel better. She is the sweetest cutest little thing ever.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm posting anonymously
because I don't want my work email to show.

Snooki's Mom