From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:32:50 -0700
I did not watch all of Larry King the other night.  The reason is due to
the fact that the "animal expert" and totally full of ....... Mr. Hanna was
on.  This incompetant & ignorant expert has done more to harm the Domestic
Ferrets reputation than help.  In other areas of expertise, he is just plan
ignorant.  Anyone that has ever seen this guy work with animals can tell he
does not know what he is doing.  HE'S NO MARLIN PERKINS & JIM.  Although he
tries to be.

On behalf of U.F.O. (Utah) I am faxing Mr. King a letter of protest.  I
will never watch his show again unless he gets someone who can help correct
the misinformation this jerk has put forward.

Maybe this one attack did happen.  But who is to fault, the Ferret or the
parents who left a small toddler alone?  Gee would these same parents leave
their baby home with a 15 foot anaconda?

The only item that I do agree with Mr. Hanna on is the education of Ferret
Owners.  As much as this is going to ruffle the fur of all the Ferret
Parents out there,FERRETS ARE ANIMALS.  As much as we love them, as smart
as they seem to be and act, THEY ARE ANIMALS.  I would never leave a baby,
infant, or small child alone with any animal.  Why?  If you have to ask,
then you should not have either children or animals.

But, for Mr. Hanna to cite one case on a television show that is watched
by millions world wide and not explain that compared to dogs, cats, birds,
reptiles, and other animals owned as pets.  One incident is relativly small
compared to the thousands of other animal attacks.

The part of the show that I did watch, he brought a Trantuala out.  Now I
know they are not deadly and Hanna did defend these animals as if they
were alright to own, handle, and make into pets.  He quickly & briefly,
mentioned that their bite is like a bee sting and if you are allergic you
could die.  This was as he was basically pushing it on Larry King who was
quietly protesting his distaste for these creatures.

So please join all Ferret Clubs, Organizations, and Ferret Parents in
Faxing Larry King at (202) 898-7686 and protesting that show and Jerk
Hanna's comments.

Rick
United Ferret Organization (Utah)