From:
Marc & Lorraine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:51:09 -0400
Melissa Furash wrote:
Has anyone heard of a ferret who marks territory?

Ferrets do mark their territory: they rub their chins on the floor, thei
butt after defecating or their belly on low objects. The use the litter
boxes in the cages of the ferrets that they do not go along with (we have
3 cages).

We own 8 ferrets: 3 neutered males and 6 neutered females.  I believe the
dominant ferrets mark more than others.  Snoreau (male), Qannik (male) and
Piccolo (female) rub their belly so often on an heavy barbell at the base
of the fridge that it is slighly rusted.  They also mark the rocker of the
rocking chair, shoes and the bricks used as door stops.

I saw a nice drawing of a ferret marking a rocker in:
Fara Shimbo, The behavior of the domestic ferret.

Lorraine Tremblay & Marc Lavergne
Webmistress of Mustela Canada
Webmestre de Mustela Francia
http://www.storm.ca/~ferret