From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:04:07 -0500
I have permission to distribute the message below; it was originally
written to a ferret shelter NC, but the shelter is full and doesn't have
time to properly work with this behavior issue.  If anyone has the time,
patience, and experience to adopt and provide a forever home for this
ferret, please contact Jaimi (Jaimi is the owner).  This ferret is a
retired Marshall Farms breeder and has a biting problem.  She is
currently in Durham, NC, but maybe we can arrange some kind of transport
if the right home is out there.

Best wishes,
-Pam S.

 From: [log in to unmask]
 Subject: Question, we need help

My name is Jaimi D Sawyer and I would like to tell you about our ferret,
Zoe.  We received her from a veterinary student who was graduating and
moving away.

The student had two ferrets Boots a male, and Zoe a female (both were
sterilized before they met).  Boots came from a pet store and is overall
very sweet.  Zoe on the other hand has had a rough life.

She was a breeder at Marshall Farms and when her usefulness was up was
given to the Vet school in Raleigh.  After spaying her for practice the
college was going to euthanise her.  The vet student saved her and took
her home.  The vet student kept her shots up to date either at the Vet
school (at NC State) or at a local Vet in Raleigh that she worked for.
Unfortunately I was unable to get this information before she moved out
of state.  We have not chosen a Vet in Durham yet for this year's shots
since we had until Nov and the ferrets are healthy.

We were told Zoe was a little nippy, occasionally biting.  Since we have
brought both ferrets home, Zoe bites anyone.  I read on your website that
you recently were able to help other breeding ferrets overcome their
harsh past.  Zoe is litter trained and healthy.  The only problem is the
biting.  When she bites she draws blood, and I have several scars to
prove she can be fierce.  Several things concern me about Zoe, one is
Boots.  Although Boots is sweet, he is male and is somewhat aggressive
with Zoe.  I think the breeding background makes this male/female pair a
bad combination.  I think the only way Zoe will be able to learn to
lessen or even curb her biting is to be away from Boots.  They were
together a mere 2 months before we got them, so all together they have
been friends since approx Sept of 2003.

Second is the fact that I have children and I am afraid of her biting
them.  She only comes out when they are in bed and even then I am afraid
of her.  My husband does handle her with gloves, but her biting has only
gotten worse since we got her in late nov.

I am looking for someone who can take her from us, someone who has
experience with her kind of issues, someone who can help her and then
find her a good home.  I admit that when taking her I thought we could
make a difference in her life, but I see now that I was wrong.  I lack
the know-how to help her, but I do know that she has the potential to be
a loving ferret.  Would you be willing to take her??  We plan on keeping
Boots, he loves the children and they love him.

I truly hope that you can help us.  I know with you she will be in great
hands and I truly believe she can learn to live happily.  We love both
ferrets deeply and it hurts to have to let her go.  But I think it will
be in her best interest to get some distance from Boots.  I do not know
how she was treated at Marshall Farms, but by her behavior it could not
have been a good life.

My whole family is heartbroken, but we can no longer bear to see her
cooped up, afraid to take her outside to the park, even afraid to take
her out of the cage.  We have tried everything we can think of, and this
is our last hope.

Thank You--contact me anytime

Jaimi D Sawyer

919-403-6785 home
919-697-6626 cell (if no one is home)

(note from Pam - I have already mentioned concerns about splitting up
the pair and a concern that Boots might have adrenal disease to Jaimi.)