From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 20:55:15 -0500
I was very sorry (and more than slightly disgusted and upset) to learn that
someone here is still harrassing Bob.  Bob, if this continues you really
should trace the sender (or hire an affordable undergrad to do so) -- if
unknown, and let BIG know if it is someone here.  Such tacky, injurious
behavior just is never called for.  If a vote is ever desired I really think
that such actions call for (depending on severity) a warning, suspension, or
expulsion.  On the other hand, I am sure that you prefer to allow the person
to clean-up his or her act (and if the person acquires taste -- to apologize
for over-reacting) rather than putting Bill in such an uncomfortable
position.  Such results come from respect and admiration.  (Yes, for YOU,
Bill!  You have EARNED them.)

What are your references on the 'semi-aquatic' note?  I've never seen
anything in an intense long-term study (not that I have looked recently),
and certainly nothing beyond a 'Yes, they will cross streams, take a
marooned tadpole, or a fish stuck in shallows' type of comment.  (BTW, I no
longer have the references sent to me by a British art curator, but I was
told that there are several ?  two?  paintings of Elizabeth Regina
(Elizabeth the First -- not the current) with pet domestic ferrets.  Nice
article illustration?

Bosses always get first try, don't they?  Got to set the tone, and let
everyone know who is in charge.  What always impresses me about alphas is
how they are so experienced and secure that they can pack more into a glare
than a subordinate can put into a bite.  It is always the low ones on the
totem pole who over-react, but ferrets sure learn fast how to progress
through the ranks.  (BTW, our dominant individual has always been female.
I've been told that when that is the case dominance arguments tend to be
lower key than when a male is in charge.  Could those with experience with
both scenarios tell what they have encountered?)

(A dominance problem I still can't figure out is why recent humans allow
their alphas to not take the normal mammalian -- at least those I have
worked with -- alpha's risks.  We now have a situation where those who get
the biggest percs also have the most protection, instead of the logical
pattern where those with power are then expected to be the prominent
defenders.  It is so imbalanced, illogical, and immoral for the same people
who have the least status to also be the cannon fodder.  I guess, unlike our
moral ferrets, we assume that responsible and laid-back leadership social
skills can't be learned over time.  Just one more way ferrets exceed us!)

I do not have the last print-outs to refer to, but I REALLY liked the scent
and sleep techniques for introduction recently mentioned here.  I WILL try
to remember those for the next time we add one; I would like to try them.
Thank You!

    Sukie (Hey, it's my 45th birthday today.), Steve, and the Sweet Six

[Moderator's note: Happy Birthday, Sukie.
Regarding harrassment of Bob, such behavior is not looked upon very kindly
in the internet world in general - most services will simply terminate the
account of anyone who engages in such practices.  I'm sure Bob has recourse
should he decide to pursue it.  I don't look upon it kindly either.  BIG]