From:
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 10:09:19 -0700
We had a very interesting ferret come back to our shelter.  He had been
adopted out about 2 years ago perfectly healthy.  Over a period of time
he came up with a very loud cough that sounded like a seal and also was
vomiting when he ate.  The first vet he saw diagnosed it as megasophagus.
He was medicated for that but showed little improvement.  Another vet saw
him and treated him for pneumonia.  A little improvement but still no cure.
A third vet took x-rays and said he definitely had bronchitis so treated
him for that.  He did improve, but the cough was still there.  He was then
treated for bordatella.  Nothing!!  This was getting frustrating!!  Finally
the vet decided to do a lung wash.  You will never believe this!  He has
ecoli.  After going back to the owner that relinquished him back to the
shelter, we discovered his favorite pass time was to tip over the garbage
can and take off the lid and select out tasty snacks.  He is now on the
road to recovery and has a new Mom and Dad waiting to welcome him into a
new home.  A happy ending to a long journey.

Chris Mathis
Oregon Ferret Shelter
www.millenium-online.com/oregon-ferret-shelter