From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:11:28 -0400
April wrote:
>Does Schwarzenegger actually OWN ferrets now, or was it just in
>the"Kindergarten Cop" movie?  I can't find any info anywhere that
>says he actually owns ferrets...

Ditto.  I have seen a rumor that his own ferret was used in the movie,
but did run into an article years ago about the animal training place
whose multiple ferrets were used to play that one.  It may be just a
false rumor again.  Does someone want to take a cap reading "Legalize
ferrets" to one of his public appearances and see if he will wear it
for the cameras?

Shelley, a skin is an over-lay image used to change the appearance of
something.  They can be placed over click-on areas like "Next Page" ones
and then a person clicks on the image instead.  There are over-lays that
can scroll, too, with another solid image below but that isn't the usual
use.  I didn't know, either, but I had someone I could ask easily :-)
(Steve).  In case I botched it up in my writing all errors are mine.

April wrote in relation to syringe feeding:
>I guess my point was just that ferret owners shouldn't be terrified
>to learn the skill

True enough!  You and I are on the same page, just looking at different
angles.  Your point is that it is a useful skill which trained
professionals like you can impart with hands on training.  The problem
I had was when other people now and then forgot that it IS a skill with
its own precautions so instruction is needed rather than it being used
casually.  (I didn't know that birds are harder; interesting tidbit.)
You said it perfectly:

>DEFINITELY learn how to do it PROPERLY to minimize your risks, but also
>don't think of it as being too scary.

Hey, have you ever tried Dr. Clowns for feeding sick ones who won't spoon
feed or finger feed?  They give really excellent control -- better than
anything else we have found -- and because they don't tend to clog they
also don't spray too much at once so there is no choking.  They clean
well for reuse, too.  We get our ferrets used to getting treats from them
by using them to drip diluted all-meat baby foods, a/d, etc.  in front of
their faces and then the behavior takes hold.  This is them:

http://www.apothecaryproducts.com/catalogue/product.asp?CatID=1
&SubCatID=14&ProdID=67032

Introducing new foods: usually just smearing a bit in the ferret's mouth
a few times works, but rare ones need more.  Jealousy can be useful for
introducing, too, when another ferret eats the food and big fuss is made
over that eating ferret while the non-eater watches up close.

Interesting.  Our experience with 8 in 1 was the opposite of your's.
When we had two bags of Ultimate with mold maybe 3 or 4 years ago they
were wonderful about it and gave us more than the quantity lost.  I
know that someone (who?) reported in the FML how rapid their product
correction was when a treat with dried fruits and veggies caused
blockage.  Maybe you got someone who was having a really bad day and
that carried over into how you were treated, or maybe someone who never
should have had that job?