From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 23:57:36 -0700
To Sheena Staples:

>>My ferrets had Program once so far. Now it's time for the second dose. Dogs
>>and cat will have their 3rd dose. So far, I can't really see fewer fleas.

    Remember - Progra (lufeneron) does not kill fleas.  Instead, it will
prevent their eggs from hatching out.  You will still have fleas on the
animal, but chances are smaller that you will get na infestation in the
house.  Using Program does not obviate the need for biweekly bath, house
treatent, etc.  Program is only an addition to a flea control program - not
a replacement.

>      I found that too when I used the Program on my cats (except we
>called it Proban).  It didn't seem to do squat except maybe irritate the
>fleas that were on them immediately after they were given the pill

     Program and Proban are different drugs entirely. Program (lufeneron)
is a growth regulator for flea eggs, and Proban (cythioate) is an
organophosphate, which we don't use in ferrets.  Proban was made to take
internally, so that when the flea bit the dog, it would take in some of the
organophosphate with the blood meal, which would then kill the flea.  In my
experience, it never worked very well, and it is farto toxic to be used
safely in ferrets.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP