From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:52:53 -0500
I have received (to date) 47 emails regarding issues brought up by the
series of dietary posts, not including those posted on the FML.  These
questions, for the most part, can be subsumed within three for four basic
subjects/questions, which is all I will answer, and then I will move on
to other subjects.  Those four subjects/questions will be:

1.Extended evidence that an ad libitum diet reduces lifespan and
increases disease in ferrets, with bibliography.

2. A short discussion on scientific hypotheses and theory, as well as
the use of investigative models (analogs and homologs) to extrapolate
effects to other species, and why it is important to ferrets.

3. A LIMITED discussion of various kibbled diets.

4. The use of various homemade foods, including a discussion of
pinkies, live animals, hot v. cold foods, and various poultry, meat,
and fish diets.

As for Joli's post(s) accusing me of being condescending and rude, well,
she doesn't know me, nor has spent any length on time with me.  I am not
even sure she has ever met me.  The THOUSANDS of people who know me, have
met me or heard me speak, and have had extended conversations with me
KNOW I am neither condescending, nor rude.  My LONG posts explaining
things in painfully exquisite detail illustrate my belief that regardless
of educational levels, people are intelligent enough to understand
complex subjects if given the chance.  I give them that chance.

My statement regarding most people's lack of ability to maintain their
ferrets on a homemade food were a reference to a lack of food processing
equipment, supplies, hard to obtain nutrients, and other food-processing
and testing limitations, as well as a basic general discomfort with
processing animals to feedstuff, NOT mental abilities.  Joli should
have just asked for a clarification if she misunderstood.

Bob C