Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 09:34:33 EDT
Geeze I hope all this makes it through!!

The energy comes from the ferrets themselves, from their boundless joy in
pouncing my ankles, and dancing all around me.  Dragging me across the
yard by the leash, and washing my face with their big wet tongues.  How
can I NOT find strength in their love?  How could I NOT meet their little
expectations?  So many times I think, oh, I wish I'd never gotten into
this.  but only when I'm sick, or come across the victim of another
morally depraved human's victim.  When I'm exhausted.  But then, that's
also why I go on.  They NEED me!  I would worry myself sick if I found
out about a needy critter, and I wasn't here for them.  They give reason
to my life.  I have a purpose, it's the will of the gods that I be here
to care for the furkids in need.  And, they appreciate so much.  Every
drop of ferretone, every kind word and gentle touch.

To relax, I read a book in bed, or during my lunch, often with something
furry in my lap or running around my feet.  I watch PBS a lot in the
evenings.  I love all animals.  (I would love to have Kim Schilling's
zoo!) I like Buffy TVS and Survivor.  I sculpt and paint and make other
artwork for sale on eBay or our website.

My family used to think I was crazy.  Then, my Mom found religion, and
realized, this is my Gift.  I was blessed by the gods (or, to her, God)
to be able to provide for the voiceless, needy fur children of God.  I
have had miracles here.  Those stories are on our website too, so I won't
type it here.  But read about Henry the ferret.  My family and friends
like to spontaneously invite me to do things, like go out to dinner, or
bowling, or shopping.  I often turn them down, because of some critter
needing picked up, or an adopting family visiting, or, because I spent my
last $60 on a seizuring rescue puppy's vet visit.  Too often the rescue
funds run out, so, I dig into my own pocket for what's needed.  It's not
a worry.  It's not a problem, I won't complain.  it's worth it to me!
I've given my favorite old, soft, comfiest T-shirts to PB to sleep in.
He loves them, and, you just can't beat that for comfort.  he is also
getting to know me through my scent on my shirts.  My mother buys me
clothes still, and I'm 28 years old!  She grumbles about me spending all
my money on the furkids and never taking care of myself.  But it's a
grudging admiration she has for me and she thinks it's sacrifice.  I
don't, I just don't think about it until it's pointed out to me!  And the
ferrets get all my old stuff, LoL.

OH, and the work doesn't stop on weekends!!!  One day or the other is
spent doing all the errands I neglected to do during the week.  I often
have adoption fairs to attend, or Awareness days.  Ferret Club meetings
once a month, dog club meetings every other month.  MOST adoption take
place on Saturday mornings and evenings, Sundays now and then too.  I
can't believe I used to have a full time, regular paying job!

When did I find time for 8 hours to go to work and STILL do all this???
It baffles me, but I think it's the same principal as hole digging by
dogs.  You try to fill the hole back in, but there is never enough dirt
to fill it!  Where does all the dirt go???  I often wonder where my
days go.  I am absentminded but I mean well.  And when you are nearing
capacity, when you are tired, your faith in humanity is lost, your last
sewing needle breaks, and you're too tired to cook, forgot to go to the
store but manage something for the family anyway, when you are ready to
cry because it is all too much for one person, ...a once frightened and
neglected ferret climbs into your lap, kisses you, and sighs contentedly
as they drift off to sleep.  A once abused dog will shove his nose under
your hand to be petted, and suddenly, everything is not so bad after all.
You know you are loved, and, unlike most humans, the animals don't care
if you found time to shower, or if you wore those jeans yesterday.  They
will snuggle up with you anyway, stinky.

Kim Wolf
Mystyx Arctic Breed Canine, Feline,
and Ferret Rescue of Galloway, Ohio
www.mystyxcritters.com.rescue.html