Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:09:27 -0700
Does anybody out there know about the following new treatment that my mom's
cat just had (vets are welcome and encouraged to reply):

My mom's cat had a thyroid problem and instead of taking medicine or
attempting surgery (which is not effective on most), the vet informed her
of a new option which she had done at the one place this side of the
mountains in Washington.  The treatment involved an injection of some
type of fluid into the cat and then radiation which shrinks the tumor
permanently.  Apparently they have had a huge success rate with this.  I
am sure it was VERY expensive.  What is this and has anyone heard of it?
Is it something that might work in ferrets for tumors?  The cat is doing
great!  One drawback is that he must remain indoors for two weeks and
(this is gross) but because his feces would be considered "radioactive" my
parents have to keep it for 80 days because the garbage site checks for
radioactive materials.  This sounds strange to me, but it is true and my
parents now have to keep the feces in a separate garbage outside (yuck!)

I do not wish to be flamed or accused of lying about this post.  I am going
to find out more information about this surgery and also find out where it
was performed.  This was very interesting to me, and I would love to hear
from a vet on here about it.  I am not a medical expert, so this is all new
to me.  I will try to get more info from my mom, but we are both very busy
people.

My mom has spent thousands on her animals, so to those of you who know me,
this is where I have inherited my love and "no limit" attitude when it
comes to animals.  I was raised around animals my entire life and feel
fortunate to have experienced this type of upbringing.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I would love to hear them.  This could be
a procedure for ferrets in the future?

Take care all~