From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 10:08:10 -0400
Ed quotes Vickie McKimmey

>For any ferret households that have had a known ADV positive ferret
>attendees must provide test results on United's letterhead ...
>This is going to become the standard AFA requirement for all shows for
>those attendees who have or have had known ADV positive ferrets in their
>care.

And what of those who have NOT reported the presence of ADV positive
ferrets in their care?  Does this mean that as long as you keep quiet
about it, and don't tell anyone, you can bring your ferrets?

This is a dangerous policy, either ALL attendees must prove their ferrets
ADV negative, or none must.  Anything else amounts to a witch hunt and only
serves to promote secrecy and punish the honest.

I know many believe the AFA has done a lot of good for ferrets and the
ferret community, but the reported response towards the ADV threat, and
their apparent behavior of "protecting their own" after reports of ferret
abuse, are threatening the credibility of the organization.

I urge the board members and leaders of the AFA to carefully consider their
actions of late, especially those that involve favoritism and
discrimination.  Whose interests are you working for?

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH