From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:28:55 -0700
>Reason for the return?? No time, now that the girl has a *really great
>boyfriend*. And a new puppy....
>
>Commitment? Just a word.

Dear Ardith,

Damn, damn, from what you posted it looked like such a good placement.
I'm just so sad for your shelter that it failed. This was one failed
placement, can you do us all a favor and counter this story with how
many good placements you've accomplished?

We try our best, as shelters that adopt, to place ferrets into forever
homes. Sometimes, rarely, it just doesn't work. You post was heart
rendering and very disappointing. It's an important message, even a
poignant anectodote in an adoption, but far from the norm in re-homing
ferrets for all of us that adopt.

Please, all shelters that adopt, tell the membership here about your
failure and success rate, it's important in giving the ferret community
a proper pespective. Most important, is your success rate. I want to
hear numbers from shelter that are adopting.

More and more ferret sanctuaries are appearing in the ferret community.
They bring in all ages and conditions, just as we shelters that adopt
do, but the ferrets stay there forever. They may educate the public,
but when those attending the lectures leave and decide to get a ferret,
their choice is what?... a pet store.....not one from their sanctuary?
There's a strong mixed message there to the attending audience. I'd do
anything to help change that message, with all due respect to
sanctuaries. You that host sanctuaries give so much, as we shelters
that adopt do also....just think of the change you could make in a
familiy and a ferret in your care, by re-homing them. With a petstore
purchase, they don't get you. What a loss.

Despite the best efforts of shelters that adopt, and sanctuaries
educating the public, the surrenders are at an all time high. I can say
that as a shelter of 12 yrs, and networking nationally with other such
shelters, to try and level the load between us, it's been such a hard
year..

It's a debate, and one that I've never changed my stand on. We have
many postings here and elsewhere, that are from ferret sanctuaries, and
God knows I sincerely thank you for all you do. I just wished that you
were a venue for re-homing ferrets into good homes. I know it's hard to
let go of those you've re-stored to health, rescued, etc., But believe
me, there are homes in your community that are wanting these very
ferrets that you love and care for. There is a want from the ferret
community for older kids, as well as younger. It may take some time,
but those families exist and their need is sincere.

Only today, I received an application requesting adoption for a 5 yrs +
to be a companion to one in a home that is grieving the loss of it's
cagemate. They won't find such a suitable cagemate at PETCO. They will
find that needed companion at Rocky's. In fact, if sanctuaries opened
their perspective, they too would find such a wonderful connection.
The reward is beyond what could only be experienced by re-homing. Such
adoptions are truly my joy.

Let me set the record straight on a misquote attributed to me. It's
been said that I referred to a sanctuary as a Roach Motel. LOL, Nope,
I'd done a quote from the Eagles, "Hotel California", "...‘You can
check out anytime, but you can never leave
’

I've been to one sanctuary, and that was Cathy Strobach's. She has a
wonderful set up, with love and care. What I saw were 8 week old
ferrets and upwards. Those in her care were typical of what we receive
everyday in shelters, their stories or origin were no different than
what we get. The only difference is that we adopt out, she doesn't.
That doesn't mean that I don't respect her for what she does, because I
do. I respect and appreciate anyone taking in unwanted ferrets. I just
wished that sanctuaries would hear the need of the community to place
ferrets that are unwanted. The best lecture about ferret care and
commitment, is welcoming them to your facility...to adopt...and.not
sending them off to the petstore to get a ferret, in my humbled
opinion.

Years ago I predicted that the surrender of ferrets would soon over
burden existing shelters, that they would come to the common terms of
cat and dog shelters, with having to euthanize. The cause for PTS dogs
and cats is the lack of adoption. I hope and pray that as a ferret
community, we are not there. I'm so scared. We're close, to damn close.
This years dump season, by all accounts, is incredibly overwhelming.
The way we can reduce this threat, is to adopt to those we educate, to
the very people we are reaching out to telling them about ferrets as
companion pets. Ferrets aren't for everyone, and it's our mission, as
those that rescue and shelter, to make that happen or not.

Again, I give my appreciation for sanctuaries, but my most respect is
for shelter ops that are laboring with adoption applications and making
decisions. I just wish sanctuaries would reconsider the option to adopt
to the very ones you educate about ferrets, and give adoption as an
option, rather than buy from a pet store. When they adopt, they get YOU
too! ...and YOU are worth so much in partnering a forever life of a
ferret and the family you placed the ferret(s) with. Ferrets purchased?
Those families are just rung out at the register.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
www.rockysferrets.com

OFEST - COME AND SUPPORT 12 YR OF SHELTERING AND ADOPTION !