Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:21:17 PDT
I wanted to thank everybody who responded to my email about the vaccine
reaction Cleo had....I had heard that they can have reactions but never
knew what the reactions where (I NOW I KNOW!)....I was glad to hear that
all agreed that it was a normal if not severe reaction to the vaccine which
made me feel alot better knowing it wasn't something else.....I agree that
the vet should never had sent Cleo home with me so soon after the reaction
but upon returning (which seems to take forever) she did say that she had
put a call into the manf. of the vaccine but hadn't gotten a response....
It is also good to know that the vet did treat her according....also the
vet did note that she had a reaction so we both can pretreat before next
time....my only concern now is that several have given me suggestions on
how to treat next time and I will take those into consideration when the
annuals come around again next year.

It's just hard to say right now how I am gonna handle things with the other
three ferrets....Sandy I know has had three set of shots (both together)
since we've had her and she's four years and never a reaction while we've
had her....Scooter who is almost two has had two set of shots with
us....however, we adopted him from a shelter whom I'm sure gave shots upon
him entering shelter and according to the info that came with him he was
current.....but there's Ceaser who just turned a year old this year....we
got him at 3 months from the breeder/shelter owner and she gave him his
first set of boosters.....we then gave him is second set and first set of
annuals this was his second set of annuals....our previous vet always gave
both shots together and we never had a problem....but we have moved into
what I call a ferret challenged state....it was hard to find a vet who even
treated ferrets or wanted (due to money issues which wheren't and shouldn't
be a problem next time) to charge me $15-$30 per ferret for the office
visit (we tend to have an ear mite problem) and this was just hard for me
to swallow since sometimes we have to take all four of them in....I will
say this I do believe that next time I will talk to the vet alot more
before going in and discuss pretreatments etc.

Again, thank you all for your answers, suggestions and most of all
comforting support and the thought that I am not alone here and that there
are others who know and can help when needed I really do appreciate all
your emails.

Until next time....May the Fuzzies be with you!

Joy and the four Jedi's
Sandy, Scooter, Cleo, Ceaser