From:
Jason Barroso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:41:22 -0400
Hi Ferret Community!!

I just wanted to report on Killer's eye.  First, thanks to everyone who
wrote to me giving me advice.  I appreciate it very much.  I took Killer
to Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston, MA which I hghly recommend
to animal owners.  This hospital has so much to offer pets including
chemotherapy, radiation, behavioral training, etc.

Anyway, the exotic vet looked at Killer, didn't see any scratches or
infections but did think he may possibly have a clogged tear duct.  So I
brought him in the next day to get anesthesia and a nasolacrimal duct flush.
The exotic vet decided to have the vet ophthamalogist take a look and based
on my accounts of him symptoms, she opted not to go for the duct flush and
gave me Cyclosporine Ointment to put in his eye.  She decided that Killer
has keratitis of the eye.  Basically he is allergic to something from home.
I already use Dreft laundry detergent so it's not the fleece hammocks.  The
only clues I have sre househole dust, his litter (Pine Fresh) when it
deteriorates could have possibly gotten into his eye, or the pine chips my
roomate keeps her guinea pigs in.  I make her put the pigs up high away from
the ferrets so there is not much of a chance that this is it, but you never
know.  I've been treating Killer for a few days now, and I still did have to
get a little discharge out of his eye but it is not as much as before.  If
it doesn't get better after the cyclosporine treatment, we are going back to
the vet.  I will let everyone know.

P.S. Killer really does have two different color eyes.  One red and one
black.  I am sure he is part albino and part sable because he is very white.
Killer is a unique looking ferret.  Even the vet said she has never seen a
ferret that looked like Killer