From:
Jay & Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:48:31 -0700
I saw the post asking for help in adopting the deaf ferrets & as someone
owned by a deaf ferret I would like to reassure anyone considering it
that it is not a problem!  The "skittishness" mentioned with the one
is not unusual since these poor little guys are so often "startled" by
someone "sneaking up" on them - how would you like to be watching TV
or reading a book & all of a sudden you're hoisted into the air! ;>)
I would recommend that they are not a good choice for a "bustling"
household full of children & activity.  They are WONDERFUL companions
in an adult household, however, since once you gain their trust they
seem to bond more strongly with their people.

A few tips to keep from starting a deaf ferret that will help everyone to
settle in:

- turn on (or off) a light before you enter the room to let them know you
  are there.

- don't just "scoop" them up; let them see you & indicate with open hands
  or some other gesture that you intend to pick them up.

- if they are shy about being held, just get down on the floor & offer to
  "play" for a while instead of holding them.

- never disturb them when they are eating or drinking.

- if they are caged, touch gently to wake & withdraw as soon as they are
  alert before taking any other action.

Ferrets are basically very brave, & within weeks they will know that you
are "OK" & will behave quite normally.  If you've got a nice peaceful
household, don't fear that adoption - These guys are terrific companions!

P.S.  - Don't expect them to get into any less trouble than any other
ferret - they are just as ornery!

Lisa