From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:38:20 -0700
>From:    Chris <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: back yard breeders
>I know that Patricia Curtis had taken in a bunch of ferrets who I believe
>had been bred under similar circumstances.  (forgive me Trish if I have just
>lied)

You speak the *truth*, Chris.  I have taken in quite a few!!!

Our newest and biggest local problem is the "Arlington Breeder" that was
discussed on the DFW list for some time recently.  He has no clue what he is
doing!  We are seeing many "unhandled" ferrets being sold, also none are
spayed/neutered or descented.  Many are deaf, and we are not questioning
some problems with something like "hip displasia" in his ferrets.  Several
club members have rescued these ferrets and made them personal pets.  I
have, at least, 3 of his here at the shelter now too.

only like to add that many A.C.  people don't know much, if anything, about
ferrets and proper care/handling.  A key to success with them is to be
*helpful* and *diplomatic*.  If you are pushy or demanding or critical you
may have no hope of ever rescuing ferrets.  Many A.C.'s only have ferret
horror stories in their files, some are very, very old and some are nothing
but lies in the first place.  If you can build a good working relationship,
then you have an open door to educate these people and make a *real* impact
for ferrets!!

If anyone wants to work with their local A.C.  office, I'd be happy to offer
suggestions.  The Ferret Lover's Club also has a handout covering basic
ferret care and handling suited just for these officials.  You are more than
welcome to use these!!!  Just ask and we'll send a copy for you to copy and
distribute.

Kisses to all the fuzzies,

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter