From:
TwoSpooky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:41:05 -0600
Well, Ferret Math has struck our home and we brought a beautiful, chunky
albino boy, Bear, home from the shelter on Sunday.  He isn't nip-trained
yet, so that's been interesting, but he is really sweet at the same time and
seems to like being held.

I have a question, however, about mating behavior.  We have a *very* large
cage which currently houses (generally only when we're asleep or out of the
house) our two monster babies, female sisters the same age as Bear (7
months).  We came home fully intending to put Bear right in with the girls
if they got along decently, which they have been.  They dook and play and
have tons of fun.  The problem is that Bear, despite having been snipped a
couple of weeks ago, is exhibiting what I'm pretty sure is mating behavior.
He will pin one of the girls down, grab her by the neck or the ears, and
then drag her away.  The girls haven't been protesting but seem to just let
him have his way.  I have broken up these little trysts five or six times in
the past few days, and because of this I'm afraid to put them in the same
cage together at night unsupervised.

Am I overreacting?  I mean, he has been fixed, as have both girls, of
course, and so no little Bears can come of this behavior, but I'm still
hesitant to let them go too far.  I'm afraid he might hurt one of the girls,
and quite frankly I'm also confused, since he's been snipped and I'm not
sure what he is, um, capable of doing??

Does anyone have any advice?

-Tasha