From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 21:22:28 -0800
The House Rabbit Society was able to get PETCO to stop selling rabbits; by
showing them that dumped rabbits were becoming a constant problem at
shelters; by starting a boycott; by doing a letter writing campaign; and by
refusing to give classes or to bring our rabbits to their stores for pet
adoption days.  It only took about 3 months and they got out of the rabbit
selling business ...and... started selling ferrets.  It appears to me that
the ferret community is much larger than the rabbit community and could have
an even larger impact than did the House Rabbit Society on asking Petco to
stop selling ferrets.  Locally, in the Seattle area, there are several local
breeders who sell their kits to Petco and they also buy from Marshall Farms.

Sandi