From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:51:28 -0400
Seems to be my night to respond: One of my all time most favorite fuzzies
came to me thanks to a vet who preferred not to euthanize a healthy
ferret.  Dooker and a cage mate were brought to the vet by a young
kid's mom to be "put down" because Dooker was a very bad biter - he
went to the bone and hung on.  His companion (Meshka) nipped a bit.  The
vet recommended the South Florida Ferret Rescue (Yay Angela !!!) and
suggested the mom take them there - explaining that biters can often
be rehabilitated ... my best friend wanted Meshka (gorgeous very large
sable), and I felt certain I could rehab Dooker - ended up on antibiotics
and wondering how I was crazy enough to get myself into this fix ....
Well, turned out he had two humongous adrenal tumors, a testosterone
level 2 1/2 times the upper limit of an unneutered male ... and a few
months after surgery, he became the sweetest most eager to please ferret
ever.

He gave kisses, ran to me when I came home or called, loved to learn
new tricks - sat up and begged, rolled over, jumped to my chest when I
clapped my hands and held them out ... he was gorgeous, had the most
appealing face, everyone who saw him wanted to touch him ... could shred
an unprotected head of lettuce faster than a salad shooter ... once pried
the refrigerator door open and cleaned out the fridge for me .... He and
Meshka would have been dead at age 11 months ... as it was, he lived
another five years ... and Meshka is an old man of seven, is with me
now, one adrenal gone, insulinoma, and CHF ... takes his meds, and
teaches the youngsters how to chill and be mellow ... my heartfelt
thanks to all the vets who opt to save these healthy animals and give
them another chance ...