From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:45:04 -0800
I believe that a prescription WAS necessary for those of us who WERE
getting it through Dr. Johnson-Delaney..I KNOW I had one from our Vet
out here, and had to show it to them before they could release it.

It is no longer available through her, or the shelter..AT ALL, PERIOD,
for ANY ferrets that are not directly under Dr. J-D's care.  Even with a
prescription.  This has presented quite a hardship for many who depended
on getting it there.  Prior to our being able to get it through them WITH
A PRESCRIPTION, we were buying it at a pharmacy, with a prescription and
the cost was horrific...over $100.00 per shot.  I think, perhaps, our Vet
was not mixing it as it should have been (We bought 3.75 mg. for $625.00
and had only 4 doses)  Obviously, it was given at almost 1mg/shot instead
of the 100mcg.  Live and learn.

It is through the WFRS that I LEARNED what the actual dosage was to be,
and what symptoms to look for re relapses.  Human physiology I kinda
have a handle on (RN at Harborview Medical Center for 24 years and still
counting), but I have learned soooooooo much through the awesome people
at WFRS, re ferret health, I can't begin to thank them for their sharing
of knowledge, and the patience in my continual chronic badgering for
info.  Trust me, I was bugging the hell out of them especially MEGAN!! ;-)
These are volunteers with hearts full of happiness and love.

I will send anyone who needs the info on where to obtain Lupron (WITH A
PRESCRIPTION), syringes, and Sterile Normal Saline, but again, precious
few people have the luxury of enough money to put up front for the large
amount to keep costs down.

I do agree with Sandi that the Vet's are pricey, but hey, this is a
business for them, and if we can band together, and everyone (HAS A
PRESCRIPTION) why in the name of The Great Spirit can we not share!!!

'bout says it enit?
Michelle

(and what is our word for the day, jills n hobbs?  why it's
PRESCRIPTION !!!!!)  Death Adder, where are you when I need you!!!!