From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 22:29:46 -0500
The meeting last night with the Brevard County Legislative Delegation went
much as we expected. We had hoped that one of the Legislators would sponsor
this bill for us, but we were told that all of them already had their bill
quota filled for the year and could not introduce any further legislation.

After Dr Kemmerer spoke on our behalf, the floor was opened for questions
from the six Legislators.  Rep.  Harry Goode mentioned that he had gotten
calls from all over the state and asked about the shelter/club network
around the state.

Sen. Charles Bronson spoke next and stated that the committee to hear this
initiative would probably be Agriculture.  (He was Agriculture Comm.
Vice-chairman last term, I don't know if he will be this term also.) He
asked for clarification as to how ferrets are kept (indoors vs outdoor/wild)
and asked if there had ever been a case of ferret induced rabies.  He
suggested that ferrets should be treated like dogs and cats that are
vaccinated.  He also mentioned ferret breeding ranches and vaccination of
their ferrets.

Rep. Howard Futch, who I knew would be sympathetic to us since he was so
positive on the phone with me, talked about ferrets being fun loving thieves
and again asked for confirmation that ferrets are house-bound animals.  He
stated that he would have no problem with the bill but was unable to sponsor
it at this time.

Rep. Randy Ball, Chairman, asked for clarification as to whether this was an
administrative code issue or legislative issue.  He discussed the Joint
Administrative Procedure Committee and attempted to refer this issue back to
the County.  We informed him that the last year had been spent with the
County.

Rep. Posey, who had turned us down before, then read the letter written to
him by the W J Blechmen MD, ex-State Health Officer and Deputy Secretary for
Health.  This letter described ferrets as *high risk animals for rabies* and
recommended kill and test in all bite situations.  Dr Kemmerer informed the
Legistators that this letter was moot but to no avail.  Rep.  Ball thanked
Dr Kemmerer for coming and wished us luck.  Another meeting, and again it
was anti-climatic....

But(!) this afternoon, I received some excellent news.  Today, Marie Wallace
had been working with Rep. Futch's office on co-sponsoring the bill draft
for us!  This means that we will have a bill number even though we don't
have a sponsor and he gave Marie the name of a Representative that may
sponsor the bill for us.  While we are again extremely hopeful, I can't give
all the details out as of yet.  We should know more by next week and I
promise to keep everyone posted.

In the meantime, feel free to forward this or any other releases to fellow
Floridians.  If you aren't receiving our updates directly, email me and I
will add your name to our mail list.

We would like to thank Dr Kemmerer for taking time out of her very busy
schedule to speak on our behalf.  Dr Kemmerer is quite a special lady and we
owe her an incalculable debt!  We also would like to thank all of you who
made phone calls to the six Legislators.  One mentioned that he had received
over 100 calls in the couple of days prior to the meeting!

Happy ferreting!

Susie Sherman
Member of:
Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue
Melbourne, FL

   Those who bring sunshine to the lives
 of others cannot keep it from themselves.

                      -- Sir James Barrie