From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:05:24 -0400
to:    Monica Istvan <>
Subject: Identi-Chip

On the subject of identifying our ferrets in case they get out - -

I looked into several makers of microchips at the HSUS animal care convention
(story will come, I promise!!!).  All told me that the micro chip would be
felt/seen under the skin.  This bothers me.  Would the ferret scratch itself
and rupture the skin?  Would a companion try to chew it off?  Would the
person finding the ferret have the chip removed if the animal was seized for
less than nice reasons?  would the chip implant take points off at  a ferret
show?

I also looked into tattooing ID numbers on ferrets.  Inside the back leg,
like in dogs, would be a good spot.  the fur is thinner there and the ID
would be viewable, but not removable.  Any shelter or person finding the
animal would know it belonged to someone and not need a scanner to see if the
lump was a microchip or a tumor.

Both methods of IDing would require SOMEONE to know WHO to contact to trace
the ID number/chip.

I'd kind of like to run a story in STAR* about the possibilities of IDing
ferrets - any takers???

Pam and her Pet Pals