From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:03:35 -0500
Hi,

I couldn't bring myself to be as nice as Linda was to the "food"
manufactures.  Am copying here my message to them.

"As someone who has been directress of a 501c3, non-profit, shelter for
European Domestic Ferrets for over 13 years I am amazed at your company's
lack of knowledge regarding ferret nurtition.  I am especially concerned
about the products you sell for ferrets that contain pieces of vegetable
and fruit.

As I'm sure you are aware, ferrets are primary, obligate carnivores.
They do not need, indeed do not benefit from, vegetable matter.
Additionally these bits of fruit and vegetables often cause painful,
potentially fatal, intestinal blockages.  (Linda's words.)

Our shelter has spent many hundreds of dollars for veterinary surgeries,
these are always emergencies, to save the lives of ferrets afflicted
with conditions caused by your "food" and "treats".  Given an annual
budget of less than $10,000 these surgeries are a significant,
unfortuately neccessary, part of our expenses.

I hope you will consider reformulating your ferret products to remove
pieces of dried fruit and vegetables, and eliminate those treats that
are primarily sugar-based.  (Linda's words again.) Your failure to do so
represents, at best, nutritional ignorance, and at worst an unethical
preference for profit regardless of animal suffering.

Dr. Roberta McCanse
Kansas City Ferret Holtine and Shelter"