From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:26:59 -0400
Where did the name "Duck" soup originate? Most duck soups that are
available commercially or from individuals don't contain ANY form
of duck. Duck IS a great source of protein and much needed FAT for
a ferret's diet. It also is prey that would be possible in a
"wild/natural" ferret, weasel or mink diet. We are fortunate to live
close to a large Farmer's Market which dresses their own ducks and
sells the duck fat separately. I have been buying and then rendering
the duck fat and adding to Loki and BART!'s nighttime meat gravy as a
supplement. It is an incredibly clean looking, good smelling form of
fat. Our boys' coats look and feel great. Several of our Georgia group
(Florence Love, Karen Bunnell. Wendy Hamilton and myself) have been
using it as a "float on top", kibble enhancement or actually adding it
when making homemade gray. The ferrets LOVE it!

Has anyone else tried using duck fat in their ferret's diet? Was DUCK
soup originally made with duck? What do you think?

Oh, by the way, I have used it to fry potatoes and they are WONDERFULLY
crispy and tasty! The French have been using it for centuries.

Dooks!
Lesley