From:
Angie Lovallo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:01:18 EDT
Hi All,

This is my first time posting, been lurking, and I'm a little behind on my
reading due to a recent move.  I am most worthy to be owned by two very
wonderful ferrets, Bear & Peter.  They truly are the lights of my life, and
I would do anything to for them, yes, including changing the military's
mind about their status as pets.  Let me explain: upon my husbands
announcement that we would be moving to New York, I breathed a sigh of
relief.  Thinking that New York was the educated state that it is, I was
happy to be going to a state that was more ferret friendly; and had
informed laws about/for ferrets.  Now, I am making no slight against the
state, because in fact, it is the military with whom I have my problem.  I
found out two weeks ago, much to my dismay, that the base here in New
York, does NOT in-fact allow ferrets on base.  They not only have them
misclassified as wild animals, they also say that they are exotic pets.
Now, from what I understand, each base is considered on an individual
basis, and the Base Commanding Officer has the final say on the issue for
the base.  So my question or favor, is that I need as much information to
prove to this guy that my ferrets are 1: not wild animals, and 2: not
exotic pets, but domesticated pets.  Any and all information that any of
you could send me would be greatly appreciated.  Also, any information on
how to go about getting this unfair ruling changed would be wonderful.  I
will be reading the list, or responses can be mailed to me personally at
"[log in to unmask]".  Thanks in advance for all of your help, and all my
love to all the fur kids out there.

Angie