Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:21:20 EDT
>From:    Robynn McCarthy
>Subject: a real problem that needs a real solution..
>We're overwhelmed, getting short on funds and we see no end in sight.
>What comes now?  If there are other clubs or shelters who have been or
>are in this position, I would love some input or solutions if you have
>some.

One trap that I got into when I ran a full service shelter was I took in
EVERY ferret that was brought to my attention.  I've sort of revamped my
ideas now that I've been running a placement service for several years,
and here's what I STRONGLY suggest other shelter do:

1. Screen drop offs before they come to your door - ASK if the ferret can
be kept in their care until a home is referred.  You, as the shelter, are
still doing the screening and educating, but you can have a list of ferrets
that are in need of placement which reside OUTSIDE the shelter.  It is not
costing you anything to care for this ferret, so you could charge a $5
"listing & screening" fee (which is a LOT less expensive than an ad in a
paper.)]

2. If the ferret is ill, has adrenal disease, needs to be spayed, etc.  -
REQUIRE THAT THE OPERATION BE DONE BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FERRET, or charge a
drop off fee.  Many people just need a good vet referral because the vet
they go to does not understand the intricacies of ferrets, so it is easier
to drop it off at the shelter.  If you talk to people, you might find they
just need to learn how to help their pet and they will keep it.

3. If someone wants to drop off a ferret in the geriatric age bracket,
explain to them that the ferret is happy to spend more time in a cage than
it used to, that it will be at risk of picking up illnesses at the shelter,
and the chances for adoption are slim.  Most people feel GUILTY about not
spending enough time with their ferret as they and the animal get older,
and in reality, if they just took the ferret out at TV watching time, the
ferret is quite content and a lot better off than at the shelter.

There are probably more items that could be resolved by a thorough phone
interview that will help keep the shelter in balance.  Use the philosophy:
"The shelter is the LAST place for the animal to go, but the first place to
look for help."  ONLY when you have eliminated every avenue of education,
medical help, and friendly assistance, should a shelter accept the ferret.
And if your shelter has BIG vet bills, you should have a scale of drop off
fees to charge for every instance of "I just don't want to be responsible
for this animal any longer".

Hope this helps some and yes, sometimes tough love is required.

Pam T.