Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:24:54 -0800
(This was originally sent direct to Misty regarding her comments that, to my
knowledge, were the first of that type sent to the FML.  She posted back a
grin, so I think I was able to keep it non-flaming enough that she won't
mind if it hits the FML.  As she realized, I don't mean this as a negative
on anyone.)

Misty, the guy was *not* risking the ferret's life.  Current CA policy if
you "give in" and go along with the F&G's policies once caught is that
you'll have to pay to send your ferts to the out-of-state place of your
choice...so if it came right down to the fert's life, he either had
friends/relatives set up to take them in, or he had arrangements made via
the CDFA who hold a "wild animal shelter permit" necessary to run a ferret
shelter and relocation service.

OK?  Now, using either of those two options was undoubtedly his *backup*
plan.  If he was smart, what he was going to do was get in front of a judge
and try to get a court order for the ferret to be held in-state either in
his possession or in the hands of a friendly animal control facility or a
friendly "wild animal shelter" such as the CDFA.  Or if he knew somebody
with a zoo permit, that'd work too.  In any case, he wanted to A) get the
DFG to actually prosecute him so he could put on a defense and B) do so in
a way that keeps the ferret alive.  If "B" didn't look like it was gonna
happen, oh well, fall back and ship the poor skinnykitty out of state...and
the minute it's safe, explain to the media that his ability to mount a
defense was destroyed by threats of violence towards the furperson.

And what REALLY happened?  The wardens were too chickens**t to even deal
with somebody determined to defend against them, like any cowardly bully.

Him and his ferret left for home, unmolested.  That alone is a powerful
statement.

Jim March in California

(As a side note: On Monday the 18th of Nov there's a hearing in Sacramento
regarding reforming California's Concealed Weapons Permit System.  I'll be
there, among the people giving public comments.  Off topic?  Not really...
widespread police corruption has rendered over 99% of the state disarmed and
helpless.  DFG has proven via the Winston incident that they're bullies and
cowards - if CA had the rate of firearms ownership and carry found in, say,
Washington state, do any of you really think DFG would risk actions as
obviously idiotic as we've seen so far?

The rest of the bill of rights is protected by the second, people.  EMail
me if you're interested in what could be the turning point in a Sacramento
fight bigger than ferrets.)

 For a wild true story of crooked cops, stolen guns, perjury, fraud
 and false criminal charges, see http://www.infinex.com/~jmarch