From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:23:33 -0500
Debbie wrote:
>You can also put the ferret(s) on melatonin supplements and light
>therapy (12 hours of near darkness/12 hours of light), though this
>has to be done at exactly the same time every day in order for it
>to work properly.

Sorry, but no. What is recommended for ferrets on that score is at
least 14 hours of total darkness.

What is helpful is NOT the light but the melatonin production by the
pineal gland in response to darkness. The degree of darkness also
matters.

See info like these ferret vet posts:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG9239
 and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG7637
 and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9453

Remember that Melatonin is NOT as effective as Lupron DEPOT or
deslorelin IMPLANT but can be given with each of those and since they
work in different ways the effects are cumulative. The melatonin
implant is MUCH more effective than longer than the oral melatonin
when they are compared. Those are from
http://www.melatek.net/

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL10682

BTW, vets who prepare Lupron depots themselves can offer it for less
than others do.

There is importation info for deslorelin/Suprelorlin in separate FHL
Archives. (See link in my address lines.) Hopefully, the company that I
know has been seeing if it can arrange to be a Suprelorlin distributor
in the U.S. is having luck on that score.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html