From:
Madam Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:19:42 -0500
Dear Poster,

After reading your post, I had questions; what legitimizes a shelter?  I
realize there have recently been many fraudulent shelters that were
exposed.  These frauds were a shock to us who knew them from various
discussion groups.  So in legitimizing a shelter one of the first
questions is who volunteers or visits there?  One time is not substantial,
it should be many visits over a period of time to observe the best and
worst of days, and come up with an opinion as to how the operation
actually is.  On these lists, we are dependent on the shelter director's
representation of themselves, which I can no longer put trust in.  I want
to hear from volunteers.  Every shelter needs at least one volunteer
because the shelter director does get sick or worse.  It should always be
a shared mission for all good logic that the welfare of these ferrets
should never rest on one person's shoulders.

Further, I believe a shelter gains respect and is legitimized over time by
having solid business practices, showing the stability of the shelter and
the director.  In their particular state is licensing required?  Are they
listed as a non-profit corporation in their state?  Does the shelter
director and volunteers work at being financially solvent by various
fundraisers.  Basically, can they afford to be a shelter?  Does this
shelter work well with other shelters in their community for the common
cause of rescue and shelter?  Very important, do they adopt?  How long
has this shelter existed at this location?  Do they rent or own?

I enjoy helping shelters, but sadly, I have been taken-in before.

I am new here at the FML, so I don't know Ms. Fox or her shelter.  So I
researched the FML archives.  It was quite an eye-opener with letters
that were, well, quite private about her personal life.  I want to give
her the benefit of the doubt that she is indeed a shelter, but with what
was revealed in the FML archives, I cannot/will not send any donations of
money or supplies.  I understand that she does ferret transport and that
is indeed admirable.  I wish her the best of luck, especially in resolving
her personal relationship problems that she has experienced in the last
several months, as well as her current desperate situation.

After reading the following, I chose not to send a donation.  Just my
opinion.

FML Post 3647 12-30-01  Rescue New Name
FML Post 3646 12-28-01 Rescue needs help
FML Post 3561 10-04-01  House Share
FML Post 3544 09-17-01  Ferrets, errors & cowards . .Oh My!
FML Post 3539 09-12-01  Response/Collectors
FML Post 3531 09-04-01 Many Thanks
FML Post 3516 08-20-01 With a Heavy Heart    (Note: particularly
disqualifying as a shelter)
FML Post 3485 07-20-01 I've got t he bat
FML Post 3461 06-26-01 Forever Home Ferret Club
FML Post 3446 06-11-01 hugs and thanks to Kim S.
FML Post 3446 06-11-01 Ferret Transport
FML Post 3334 02-19-01 What's one more? -- poem
FML Post 3327 02-12-01  Searching for a silver mitt

Best Wishes,
Joan Wont