From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:58:37 -0500
I read Bob's post on Wild Mustelids and not taking them into your home or
shelter and could relate fully to it.  Awhile back we were called to pick
up a baby ferret that was found in a barn.  We arrived to find an adorable
tiny least weasel in a tin can awaiting our arrival.  He was a full grown
tiny boy.  It was love at first sight!  BUT I knew he was wild and as much
as I wanted to protect him for the rest of his life, to love him and
nurture him, I knew that was not something I could do.  We immediately took
him to the vets office and they placed him in an incubator for holding
until the rehabber could get there.  He certainly was glad to get out of
that tin can that he'd quite efficiently worked a hole into the plastic lid
large enough to get his little mouth through, but he did't seem to mind the
incubator.  I was able to sit right next to him with my hands on the glass
as he nonchalantley cleaned his private parts.  Guess he told me, huh. :-)
While he was calm around us, he wasn't injured, sick nor did he seem to be
in shock - he was quite alert and just seemed so self assured and took
everything in stride.  The rehabber released him a week later.  I like to
think that perhaps he sensed that he was being helped and that we bonded a
bit.  He was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen and I'll forever be
smitten with this experience.

MATCH ME!  - I'm donating $20 to the CA Confiscation Ferrets fund.  I
challenge others to MATCH ME IF YOU CAN and if not even $1 would be
helpful.  Every little bit adds up.  Remember, your donations are helping
ferrets in need.

THANK YOU!
And thanks to all that have sent donations and support Ferret Family
Services.  You'll never know how much it means.  Sometimes I get down but
then I have to remind myself of how fortunate we really are.  There are
people that have physical or mental handicaps that deny them the
opportunity to do what they love.  I am so fortunate to be able to work
with ferrets, even though it is heartbreaking at times, and financially
straining.

SHELTER HELP IDEA
I have an idea of a possible way to help shelters.  If everyone picks a
shelter and buys one lottery ticket a month, perhaps they will hit the
jackpot someday for that shelter.  Of course there is the honesty issue -
If I win a million will I be able to give it to a shelter?  My guess would
be no, but you could give a sizable portion.  Please disregard this idea
if it goes against your beliefs or is not something you want to do.

Hugs to all. tle