From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 09:44:54 EDT
Re: Broken tooth
>her fang.  My husband says it will grow back but I dont know.  Should she go
>to the doctor?  Will she be a snaggle-tooth forever?  Oh, also I was
>thinking about getting them one of those giant glass aquariums to live in.
>Would they like that?  She wont break anymore teeth being fiesty.  Would an
>aquarium be safe for them?

Your ferret and you are pretty much the same in the teeth category.  While
you vary in types and number (?) of teeth you both have, you each get a set
of baby and permanent teeth.  If your ferret is no longer a tiny little kit,
her tooth will regrow as much as a broken tooth that you may get would.  In
other words, it won't grow back.  Depending on how much of the tip broke,
you may wish to take her to your vet.  Ferrets can have as much pain and
loose teeth like you would in similar situations.

As far as aquariums as cages, don't do it.  It has horrible ventilation/air
flow, traps moisture, traps heat - not a healthy environment for your ferret
at all.  Stay with the cage.  Don't respond to her cage chewing antics.  You
are only reinforcing this behavior if you let her out when she starts cage
chewing.

Plus it is possible that she broke her tooth in play.  Bathtubs, file
cabinets, chair legs, doors, tiled floors, etc.  can break teeth if ferrets
smash their heads into these thing during play, jumping, climbing, or other
ferretly endeavors.

I hope this helps. ;)

-kim, squirt (broke the tippy-tip of one of his teeth), pippi (Socks feel
 my wrath!), atlas (Everybody except Squirt feel my wrath!), and 'jinx
 (Ankles feel my wrath!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.