From:
"Helen M. Wojciechowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:07:30 EDT
Selina, You asked the question,
>Do most shelters do this on their own and who does shelter operator
>turn to for support?

First let me start out but saying Sheltering is my life.  I love what I
do even though there are times I do get very tired and weary.  We only
get voulenteers and donations every now and then so we do this pretty
much on our own.  Now and then we get a nice donation and when we do it
is put to good use.  Other than that I use what adoption money we get
and I work part time in order to pay for their food and vet bills.

As for dealing with surrenders most of the time I must pray first before
they ever arive so I don't get rude with them.  I am always concerned
that they will just turn them lose.  I have at times asked the owner why
they didn't surrender their ferret before this.

Like in our Jakes case where he was kept in a cage for two years in a
garage with no heat in the winter and no air in the summer and never left
out of his cage.  He didn't have a litter box only cat litter all through
the bottom of his cage.  He was fed crappie cat food the chepaest kind
from Wal-Mart.  His little shabby hammock was so filthy and he had no
blanket at all.  The cage was so bad we threw it away.  Jake has some
health issues that we are dealing with and I am sure it is because of
the way he was kept but he is the sweetest loving ferret for what he went
through.  He never thinks to bite you.  He finally has gotten the idea of
a litter box and he keeps his cage so clean.  He never misses the box not
even when he is out playing.  He always finds a ltter box to go potty
such a sweet boy.

It is sad to say but their are more ferrets being bred than there are
homes for them.  Even those that do find a home a lot of them end up in
shelters or worse yet just left go.  I have seen and heard a lot since I
started to shelter almost 6 years ago and it just breaks my heart.  I do
a lot of praying for them and a lot of crying over the ones that do not
make it.

As for your question who do shelter opperators turn to for help!  I don't
know about other shelter operators but I turn to my Lord and Saviour
Jesus Christ, When I get so down He is always there to lift me back up
and keep me going.  If I am short on money for them I pray and ask him
for their needs to be met.  It is usually then that I get a nice donation
in the mail.  It isn't easy doing this and especially at my age but I
love the ferrets so much and I pray for enough life in me to keep going
till everyone of mine have a forever home.  I will soon be 67 and I only
pray the Lord gives me many more years to take care of them and enough
energy to keep working so that they have the best of everything.

As for do I have a life, Yes I do my ferrets are my life, they are what
keeps me going and keeps me young.  My only regret is that I never had
them when I was younger so I could have done more for them.

God Bless You
Hugs, Love and Prayers
Helen
Helping Hands Ferret Rescue
A Place to hang their hammock till a forever home can be found"
3356 Harlansburg Road
New Castle, Pa.  16101
724-654-1596
Provide A Home Not A  Litter