From:
"Thomas E. Gitzinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 22:07:58 -0400
Hello all!

My name is Tom and my little fuzzy's name is Calvin (as in Calvin n Hobbes).
Calvin has had problems making it into the litter. I have tried many things
such as putting him in his cage as punishment, right after he poops next to
the litter, or monitoring him carefully and making sure he makes it to the
litter.  He just seems to sneak away and poop next to his litter box in my
room.  I have also tried the toothpaste trick and other similar things, but
they don't seem to work.  Now for the strange behaviors:

1) Calvin when monitored will walk into the litter and stand there assuming
the pooping position for a few seconds and walk out without any production
left behind.  I will then tell him, or place him, back into the box and he
will repeat the process a few times, until I give up or he goes.

2) Now this is really odd!  One day I was watching TV and Calvin was on the
loose.  My roomate suddenly breaks out into hysterical laughter.  I go out to
see what the deal is and he points to the bathroom.  I walk into the bathroom
and look around and notice on TOP of the toilet seat some Calvin poop.  Now I
know sometimes the buggers wander off and just suddenly have to poop and do,
but this must have been premetitated by the little guy.  Now I was just
wondering why he would do such a thing.  It is not easy for the little fella
to get on the toilet, there is nothing around for him to hop onto and the
toilet is very smooth.  He must have spent an eternity trying to get up there.
 Now I am also wondering they have things for cats to train them to go in the
toilets, would ferrets do it too?  I know they can but would they?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have three litter boxes in four rooms so he
doesnt have to travel all the way across the apartment to find a box.

Any help would be appreciated to help Calvin learn where to go.