From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:29:35 -0700
I have to agree with another poster on here from yesterday, that the man
looking to adopt in Washington, should not.  It is too big a risk and the
ferret could easily be confiscated.  There are shelters in California.
I also would be apprehensive about adopting a shelter ferret (who will
be stressed trying to adjust anyway) and then adding to the stress by
transporting.  Please, I am sure you would provide an excellent, loving
home, but you have to think about these considerations first.  Last I
heard, the shelters I know of here in WA wouldn't adopt to people who
live in areas where ferrets are illegal.  I would be very disappointed if
this has changed.

Now to the person who was asking about Angoras...I don't know what breeder
is claiming this (please share the link).  All ferrets can get adrenal and
there is NO medical evidence suggesting that Angoras are any less likely to
develop this (or any other breed of ferret).  I would ask the breeder how
they know this and what research supports it.  In fact, I was once told by
a very respected vet here in Washington, that the farther away from regular
color patterns and such, the more likely you will be to encounter genetic
defects.  I am not a breeder and do not have this experience, so cannot
attest to validity.  If you need more information, I would definitely talk
to a vet about this.  Also, please remember that there are tons of ferrets
in shelters that need adoption.  For $400, you could get several (just
kidding).  I recommend that you start with a shelter ferret that has good
temperment and then consider getting a kit later on.  There is so much to
know and learn about handling a kit - often more than an adult ferret.

Good luck with whatever you decide!  I am sure you will provide a
loving home either way.  Just don't believe everything a breeder claims
(especially if they are a large breeder), you have to remember that it is
still a business.  This is NOT to bash all the excellent, caring breeders
out there (larger and smaller).  The breeders I know are not millionares
(I wont begin to discuss the large mills back east).