From:
Laurie Overton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:42:05 -0500
I would like to respond to Judith White's comment regarding someone
wondering if they should get a liver tumor removed from a 9 year old
fuzzy called Weeze or put him to sleep.  Judith replied the owner should
do neither & claims Weezer is too old for surgery.

Would you tell a family member who needs surgery "no, you are too old we
are not doing anything".??  If an animal can withstand surgery, age is not
a factor.....a young animal may not be a sugical candidate because it is
too ill, while an older one can handle it........age has nothing to do
with it, it is whether the animal is in good enough shape medically to
tolerate surgery.

Before I get jumped on for talking through my hat, my ferret Taz had
adrenal surgery 2 and a half years back to remove his left adrenal gland.
He did great, but now needs surgery for his right side & is having it done
this coming Wednesday.  Taz's left adrenal was sent for biopsy & came back
a carcinoma (cancerous) a rare occurence I am told, so we are not messing
around with this one.  Taz is almost 9 now, & is in good shape, so he is
a great candidate for surgery........age plays no role whatsoever!!  So,
please reconsider having Weezer operated on, a good vet will know if he
is a good candidate, I have an amazing ferret vet, & he has operated
SUCESSFULLY on animals some would consider "too old".