From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:07:53 -0500
Re: Vaccinations coming up
>1. Why can't you have rabies and distemper done at the same time?  Is it
>only so you can tell which, if either, causes an allergic reaction?

Yup.  Learned that through going through an allergic reaction two years in
a row with our ferret Squirt.  We didn't know for certain what caused the
reaction and had to premedicate and try each vaccination separately the
next year.  No fun for anybody involved!

>2. How do I get both my boys on the same vaccination schedule(so I can take
>them at the same time)?  Do I choose Chimi's due date (January- meaning

We sync'd up our vaccination schedule by making the later ferrets have
their vaccinations with the earlier ones - this was our vet's suggestion.
Go by whatever your vet suggests.

>3.  If it is extremely horrible to have rabies and distemper done in the
>same day, and I want to do them 2 weeks apart, how do I present it to the
>vet so I don't seem like a know-it-all-computer-scientist-veterinarian
>wanna-be??

We generally plan our vaccination visits 2 weeks to a month apart depending
on our schedules and our vet's.  As far as talking to your vet, just talk
to them.  Tell them of your worries, concerns, and wishes.  It's been my
experience that vets are very sensitive people.  If this is an important
issue for you, I'm sure they'll realize it and work with you to best serve
you and your ferrets.

Re: Ferret fetishes (statues)
>Has any one seen any ferret/weasel fetishes?  I am setting up an animal
>spirit altar and wanted to have the fuzzies represented.

I've always thought the foxes (like on the fetish necklaces) looked alot
like a ferret.  Perhaps those might do - especially if you add a mask to
the fox fetish.  If you have a hard time finding them at local bead stores,
you might try something like Fire Mountain Gems.  (I'm sure a web search
would turn up their page.)

You could also take your hand at soapstone carving.  It is a soft stone
that is relatively easy to work.  Check your local lapidary sources or
craft stores for the raw material.

Re: one more letter from AVAR which calls for the end to pet ferrets
>cages or confinement instead of more natural conditions. *****Although many
>people love ferrets, in the long-run, the species would be better off if it
>weren't perpetuated as a companion animal.***** This is not an anti-ferret

Only someone who has never felt the unconditional love of a companion like
a dog, a cat, or a ferret could believe that the animal is wallowing in
misery as a "pet".  Makes one wonder if the people making such asinine
statements never had that special friendship with a pet.  If they had,
I'm sure such words would never cross their lips.

Re: Petco News
>that have been coming in are extremely young.  So young that for the first
>month that we had this new group they have been eating canned kitten food.
>We had to bottle feed one because it was so tiny, unfortunately that
>ferret was lost.

I hope the petstore manager has given their feedback to Marshalls.  MF,
like any business, reacts to the feedback of their customers.  I do
computer support for a living and as I tell my users or "customers", "if
you never tell me about a problem, I can never fix it."

-kim, pippi (the pipster), atlas ('da big boy), jinx (kissy-bug) and rosie
 (rosie-rella, the white terror)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.