From:
Dave and Pam Taynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:25:35 -0500
Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting, although I have been lurking for several
months.  I need to ask a question.  One of my ferrets has recently started a
behavior that is driving me and my SO crazy.  Our almost 5 yo male MF ferret
has recently decided to "mark" his territory.  He will urinate (just a
little) in several places (usually the same 3 or 4 places) and during
playtime, he will climb over something (tubing, toys, his sisters) and rub
himself on them, leaving them wet.  Could this be a symptom of a medical
problem or is it just a behavioral problem.  He just started doing this in
the last couple of weeks.

One note.  In October we adopted a 9 month old female (descented, spayed).
She is almost as large as our male and has tons more energy.  Could she be
the cause of him marking his territory?  Our other ferret is a 3 1/2 yo
small female that has been with us and the male since she was a kit.  He is
still peeing and pooping like normal in the litter box.  This is the first
winter that he has "bulked-up".  He has almost doubled his summer weight.

I am hoping this is not a medical problem, but would like to find a solution
to it no matter what.  It is disgusting when walking around in socks or bare
feet to "find" one of his puddles.

Thanks,
Pam & Dave
RiKKi, Belle, and Josie