From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1993 09:07:02 -0400
> From:   Pyrophage <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Ferret List Issue 520
>
> 1) How do we keep ferrets reasonably cheerful during summer? I'm away from
> home and my fiance's brother is taking care of the fuzzies for us. He reports
> that they do not romp as often and that their food intake has halved. We do
> not have air conditioning, though we do use a fan and keep the venetian
> blinds shut. Any suggestions for ways to keep them cooler?

        Take a large shallow dish, pan or tupperware(sp). Place a few trays
of ice in it, add water and let your ferret do the rest.  My ferrets love
to try and take out the ice cubes one at a time.

        "" DO NOT LEAVE YOUR FERRET LOCKED IN A CAGE WHEN YOU DO THIS
           GIVE HIM/HER THE OPTION OF PLAYING IN IT.  IF YOUR FERRET
           IS FORCED TO STAY TO CLOSE THE ICE AND WATER YOU MAY INJURE
           OR FREEZE YOUR FERRET TO DEATH. PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE WHILE
           TRYING TO COOL DOWN ANY PET."

> 2) What's the word on flea powder? How often should it be used?

        Only use products safe for kittens. Other flea killers are
to strong and may injure your ferret.  I like to use Dawn dishwashing
soap.  It's kills fleas and is non toxic.  Amy from Central Florida
Ferret Friends told me that one.  Thanks Amy it realy works.

> 3) I know someone said this before, but what was the preference of pine vs
> cedar chips?

        NO WOOD CHIPS AT ALL. Use old towels or clothing for bedding.

        I've got a question.  Does anyone know what happens to ferrets
that don't sell and the pet store returns them to the whole saler? I
just bought a ferret last night that was on his way back to whole sale
broker.  I plan on donate him to our club and rescue once he stops
biting.  I also think he may have an eye infection.  Could my other
ferrets catch it if he does.  They already have taken turns dragging
him across the floor as if he were a new toy that belongs over in
this corner.

        Brad Laraway, Brevard Ferret Lovers Club and Rescue.