From:
Tim Kwasny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:48:07 -0500
The story: My husband and I are going to be taking a vacation to Florida.
We are concerned about our ferret, Puck.  We do not want to leave him home,
and have someone check in on him because he is not a cage ferret.  Puck is
and always has been a free range ferret (The range is the inside of our
home, he does not go outside without harness, leash, and person attached to
him.) The only person I know who is ferret friendly has lost her own ferret
twice due to carelessness.  I do not want her checking up on my baby.  We
could board him at the vet's, but that can get expensive, and once again he
would have to be caged.  He tolerates a carrier in the car because that is
an adventure, with new sites and smells.  Left in a cage too long and he
chews at the bars, and gets very stressed out.  (Especially if he thinks all
of the exciting things are going on outside the cage.) We have been thinking
about taking him with us, if we can bring him onto the plane with us in an
under the seat carrier.  I would never send him with the cargo.  I have
heard too many horror stories about pets and plane cargo holds.  I would
like some suggestions, and information on the attitude of the Florida gov't
towards ferrets.  Are special permits needed?  or paperwork on current
shots?  Has anyone out there got experience with ferrets on airplanes?  Are
they even allowed on planes?

I will be looking forward to any information provided!

Theresa, Tim and Puck Kwasny