From:
Kirstin Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 22:54:31 -0700
So many posts lately have been talking about ferrets who are afraid of the
vacuum cleaner.  Wow.  Robin used to love to ride around on the vacuum, and
my current boys Felix and Moses both love it.  Moses will hop right up and
ride around (either a hand vac or an upright), and Felix will just attack.
The hose and tile attachment is the most fun to attack, I guess; he's just a
little one and I think the vacuum itself, which I use on carpeting, is a bit
too scary.  Anyway, it's really a pain (but I love it...) to vacuum with
those boys hopping all over the place.

For the new ferret owner who posted about cedar vs. pine or aspen shavings,
I guess I would say nix on all three.  Leaving the issue of whether or not
aspen shavings are safe completely aside, because as far as I know they are
fine, I would like to comment that a reptile has smooth skin which will not
pick up shavings.  If nothing else, how irritating to have to brush your
little one off every time you want to hold him.  Also, it's so much fun to
walk around on solid surfaces in the cage every once in a while...much
easier to play certain games... I guess I would say that your best bet is to
put t-shirts or some kind of cloth bedding down.  The ferret will do what he
wants; either leave it as a "carpet" or scrunch it all up as bedding or
whatever.  Also, just as a side note, I have a sensitive little guy who
sneezes if ANYTHING gets in his nose, and if yours is anything like him, the
wood dust would be an irritant.  To the eyes, too!

Finally, just wanted to share that Moses (the little angel), who has always
been a jumper, has recently expanded his repertoire of fun places to be.  Of
course, these all fall under the heading of places Mommy won't let him be.
He can get up onto anything under about 2 3/4 feet high, and is fairly
creative in moving onward from there (ie chairs to desks etc).  The other
day I found him in the kitchen sink (heart attack!), and yesterday I heard
my computer dial in to the ASU system as Moses had apparently decided to
check my email for me.  He also turned on the printer.  So we are having an
off and on ferret rodeo around the house right now.  Oh well.  I love the
little guy, and as much as I don't want him to eat my stuff, I have to admit
that his climbing is REALLY cute.  I've gone to new lengths to ferret proof,
of course.  Oh well....

Kirstin Hendrickson, Moses (I'm 5 months old today!), and Felix the lil'
Wonder Woozle (I got more shots today!  I was good...I didn't cry or
ANYTHING!  Just yawned...)

PS...Felix was a little wild at the vet's office while waiting for her to
come in, and since Moses has taught him about the fun of climbing, he was
really wanting to get up on my head.  Finally I let him, and kept a hand on
him just to be safe, but he just lay there like a fert-skin cap (tail
hanging over my face).  Several minutes of this, and then of course the vet
walks in and starts laughing at me.  She kept complimenting Felix, after
that, on what a nice hat he was, and (after weighing him), what a nice BIG
cap he was (gained almost a pound in 2 weeks!!!)

[A P.P.S. to above]
I was just reading over my post about vacuums and realized that I hadn't
made it clear that I DON'T let my boys get anywhere NEAR the end of the tube
or the vacuum head itself; I figured I'd get flamed for that if I didn't
straighten it out.  Actually, Moses will never go near the head; he rides up
on the vacuum bag.  Felix will only ever go near the hose attachment, which
has a tiny little head with fuzzy cloth on it that there's no way he could
ever get injured by or sucked in to.  Also, it stays very flush to the
floor.  No potential for accidents.  Just wanted to straighten that one out
so I didn't get a bunch of letters....

Kirstin Hendrickson, Moses and Felix the Lil' Wonder Woozle (all of whom are
well versed in vacuum cleaner etiquitte and safety!!!)