From:
Renee Downs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:57:58 -0600
Last week I went and did something I have been *intending* to do for a
long time.  Alicia's post about her friend reminded me of something my
mom always said, *The road to hell is paved with good intentions.* Now,
NOBODY wants to hear those words ringing in their ears every time they
are reminded of something!

So, I called the local blood bank and made an appt. to get my blood drawn
and registered as a marrow donor.  It didn't hurt a bit.  You fill out a
few sheets of paperwork, they take a tube of blood and you are then sent
for registration.  Of course, they will test your blood and there are some
exclusionary conditions, but it was painless - except for having to enter
my weight, of course!  (Under height and weight I just put SHORT and FAT.)

There is a charge for this because I am not a minority of any kind,
but it was waived.  They labeled this as *Patient Oriented* because I
specifically mentioned Alicia's friend.  They will also waive the fee if
you are a minority or if they have a grant covering it.  Check with your
local blood bank.  AND, not all blood banks do bone marrow.  Mine just
draws the blood and sends the case to San Antonio.  It may vary in your
area.  It took less than 10 minutes and I MIGHT SAVE A LIFE.

On Friday I then took 3 of my ferrets on a 4 hour trip to a ferret expert.
It was determined that Rosie has lymphoma in every major organ in her
body.  I was all geared up to do whatever it takes to help her - she was
a 5 year old rescue I got in August - and Saturday morning I lost her.  I
couldn't do a thing.  I am heartbroken over her because I keep asking,
could I have done something different?  And, my friends tell me I did the
best I could.

How could I face my Maker - and all those people I might have helped -
if I had NOT done everything I could?  Sometimes you can't do a thing.
But, sometimes you can.  If you have thought about becoming a
blood/marrow/organ donor, but not followed through yet, I encourage you
to do so today.  You never know what might come of it.

Thanks for allowing my verbosity.  Have a wonderful day.

renee :)
 & the Poop-in-the-Corner Gang