From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 19:06:20 -0700
I took him in today. First the vet took a needle and drew some of the
fluid out of his head. Nothing came out of the swollen area where he
was injured but by his sinuses this NASTY puss that I got the pleasure
of smelling. So he's got some sort of infection going on. He had been
sneezing lately but since I'd had him checked out just about a month
ago we'd thought it was allergies.

The vet x-rayed his head while I sat there patiently waiting
alternating with crying. I'd asked what would be the prognosis if his
skull was fractured and she said there'd be nothing we could do. And
yes, this was an accident, but still something I did so I was just
sitting there wondering how I'd ever forgive myself if I'd killed him.

But thankfully - the x-ray didn't show any cracks or breaks whatsover.
It did show something interesting, though. Just like me before surgery
several years ago - he has a deviated septum. Which could account for
why he's got this infection since it's easier for bacteria to get
trapped in there. You could see the congestion on that one side of
his sinuses and up above them as well.

Once again his heart rate, temp, his eyes, gums, etc are just fine. She
sent me home with some antibiotics for the infection and is sending the
x-rays to their radioligist to go over a bit further to make sure she
didn't miss anything. She's also sending out a sample of the fluid to
make sure it's just mucus related to the infection.

So things are looking up. Thankfully I don't have anything going on
this weekend so I'll be home and able to keep an eye on him. I got home
and let the ferrets out including Puck. Puck walked around a little bit
then went back to the cage. And when I went to check on him, Pan - his
best pal, was snuggled right in there with him - despite two minutes
before dashing around the house like mad. I guess he sensed his friend
needs him right now and/or he missed him in the last 24 hours I had
him in a closed-off area of the cage.

Here's the pics again with shortened URL's so they don't break:

Right after the injury - http://tinyurl.com/mmz27d
Tuesday - http://tinyurl.com/nfofhm
Wednesday - http://tinyurl.com/kwo6ek

Laura

PS: as to someone's comment to me about hopefully my vet doesn't charge
to much for x-ray - the x-ray, drawing the fluid, the exam, the meds -
$312 today :-0!!! Which makes Puck my $1,000 ferret for 2009 as he
had dental surgery for two bad teeth just a few months ago. And he's
THREE - LOL!!!! Ah well, my new biz is going well. You know fate always
finds things to spend your money on instead of fun stuff ;)