Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 01:15:01 -0500
Talk about controversial topics and both together.

Last night I spent some time reading stories and poems on a shelter's page.
One story that started me really thinking was about a ferret kit that was
taken to a lab before she even knew how to war dance.  She was infected
with rabies and studied till she was killed humanely (yeah sure) She never
had a name and had only a number on her lab cage.  I beleive it was ferret
24061.  When she reached the bridge she learned to dance and was given the
name of Joy by another ferret.  She learned that ferrets cross the bridge
when their person comes to get them and take them with them to heaven.  Joy
cried because she really didn't know a human and didn't even have a name
when she was here.  The ferret that named her told her to wait with him
because his family always said the perfect number of ferrets was one more
then they had.  Hookey.... sure... but it had all of us here in tears.

Now I know that there is so much controversy about buying MF ferrets in a
pet store... IMO all ferrets deserve a home and I think all ferret owners
should unite and tell MF that if the conditions at their facility does not
change..  the breeding ferrets have some kind of adoption program set up
for them after they are no longer profitable then WE the ferret owners
will not necessarily boycott their ferrets.  (I won't boycott ferrets) but
that we will boycott Marshall pet products..  NO Bandit treats, no Marsall
Ferret Food, no Marshall hammocks or hanging tubes, no Marshall harnesses
or leashes etc etc etc.  no furrotone, or their equilivent of Ferretvite or
chews..  polar balls and on and on..

Also tell them and do go to your local pet store and contact the corporate
parent companies of the large pet chains and ask them IF they will be still
selling ferrets to please consider getting their ferrets from a different
supplier like Path Valley or another breeder that does not sell to labs.
I just have to add that there are so many people out there that think most
ferret research or other animal research is in life saving breakthrough
areas that I want to say that most is for cosmetics, food additives etc
that really IMO only provide a salary for the lab people.